Let me guess, you want to sell your Dallas house and are thinking “What do I need to do to sell my house”?
So “What do I need to do to sell my house in Dallas“?
Here are some tips on how to get your home ready to sell if you’re looking to profit as much as possible.
1) Clean, clean and clean. Even vacant houses get dusty and dirty, so keep it up! Nothing short of gleaming perfection will impress buyers. If you’re not a total clean freak, that’s perfectly fine! Hire a company to come through and clean your home for you.
Now if you’re a slob, then this process will probably be brutal for you. Even though you clean your home once, it is still a constant battle during showings. Every time a buyer schedules a showing, you must run through and pick up and clean before the showing takes place. If this will be a struggle for you, then you might consider finding somewhere else to live while your showings are going on. But seriously, keeping everything immaculate really helps buyers feel comfortable while viewing your place. The longer a buyer stays in the home, the more they are picturing themselves living there. If the place is a mess, nobody will picture themselves living there and you lose out on so many buyers.
2) Cultivate a cohesive, neutral style. You don’t have to paint everything off-white. In fact, some subtle colors can really help change the perception of space and the brightness of the rooms – for example, a soft yellow will help brighten up a dark kitchen, while a deep dark blue or green will help a bright bedroom to feel like a calm place to sleep. Just be careful with the dark colors, because these can sometimes make a room look less inviting and smaller.
Spend the money to get high-quality paint and professional help. Subconsciously people will pay more money for a property with just the right colors and very neat lines. Buyers can tell the difference between high-quality paint and lower-quality paint. And it’s so important to stay in the lines when you’re painting!! If you get wall paint on the baseboards or ceiling, it doesn’t look good! It just looks sloppy and the buyers will notice! They will just add that to the list of items they will need to fix later. The point of painting your home is to enhance it and increase its value. A bad paint job will just be working against you.
Optical illusions are real, and psychologists study this stuff. Don’t believe me? Look it up!
And don’t forget about the outside of your home! Curb appeal means everything!! It’s important to get them into the house, and then you work to make them stay.
3) Fix or replace anything that’s broken. Yeah, it might feel like a waste of money to spend an extra couple hundred bucks on a dishwasher that someone else might just pull out and replace again. But it is what it is! Buyers will be getting a home inspection and they will use that opportunity to negotiate with you. As the seller, you’ll often end up paying more if you try to hide neglected maintenance items from the purchaser – and of course, you don’t want to be guilty of deceit or fraud.
Make sure you stay in compliance with all the necessary laws! You don’t want to set yourself up for a potential lawsuit later on just so you can save a few bucks today by not repairing something.
It’s often a good use of money to hire a home inspector to come through before you put the property on the market. If you ask in advance, they’ll often charge you a tiny rate to come back after you’ve done a bunch of minor repairs and deliver you a clean bill of health. Prospective buyers love to see an independent report on the condition of the house – it makes them feel more comfortable with the purchase.
4) Make only necessary improvements. The biggest mistake people make when getting their house ready to sell is over-improving. They often spend too much money on customized frills that can’t be recovered in the sale.
Take a look at the homes that are selling in your neighborhood. What does their kitchen look like? What do their bathrooms look like? If the home down the street sold for top dollar and it had granite countertops in the kitchen and bathroom, but everything else was still original to the house. Then maybe consider replacing your countertops, but don’t do anything else! Why would you go through and replace cabinets, put in a brand new sink, and hardwood floors throughout if the other house sold without those items? This is a great example of over-improving a property! Don’t do more than what is necessary, because that investment will not be returned.
It’s important to know what improvements will produce a return on investment to avoid wasting money.
5) Get expert opinions. You should definitely find at least a few decent real estate agents who will help you price your property, but be honest with them. If you’re thinking about marketing the property on your own, just be upfront with them. Great real estate agents are rare, but they make more money for their clients than they earn.
6) Have a really great marketing plan. Great real estate agents earn their value by doing this work and spreading the advertising across every marketing platform. It can become expensive and time-consuming to start from scratch on your own, but if you’re already a marketing expert you’re ahead of the pack. It’s common for people to think they can sell their home on their own without a real estate agent, and they’re not wrong! But it’s also common for people to change their minds later on after they realize how much a realtor actually does. Just be prepared to work!
If you’re not willing or interested in doing any of these items mentioned to sell your home, don’t sweat it! There is another option to sell your home in Dallas.
7) Get a cash offer. We buy houses all over the Dallas area, and we do all the work so you don’t have to deal with any of this stuff.
Don’t Want To Do The Things Above Yourself? But Still Want To Sell Your Dallas Texas House Fast?
While everyone wants to get as much as they possibly can from the sale of their house… not everyone has the time to do these things nor do they want to do the things required to sell it at full retail value with a Realtor.
Maybe your home needs a significant amount of work which is why you’re trying to figure out “what do I need to do to sell my house” in this case you can read our blog post about your options when it comes to selling a home that needs quite a bit of work.
Doing the repairs, cleaning the property up, upgrading the property, marketing the property, and so on and so on….. All of these things either require a lot of money or it will consume a ton of time. Or worse! Sometimes it requires both time and money!! This is just to get your home ready to sell! This doesn’t even count the stress of showing the home and managing a buyer once you find one. How can we stop the madness???
If you have the funds to do these things... AND you can wait the 3 to 9 months it takes to sell houses in this market… then ultimately, you will be better off financially by doing the things necessary to then list it on the MLS (the Multiple Listing Service that realtors use to market your property).
If you don’t have the funds to do these things... AND can’t wait the months it takes to sell your house… then you may be a perfect fit for our local Dallas house-buying service. You’ll submit basic info about your house over here on our website, we’ll evaluate your house, we’ll make you an all-cash offer on your house, and you can decide if it’s a fit for you. It’s impossible for something to be a one size fits all product.
That’s why we don’t pressure you to make a decision like our competitors.
Then we can close FAST (oftentimes within 5 business days) if you need us to. We don’t have to close that fast unless that’s your preference!
Take a look at what we’ll pay you not to do anything versus the time, expense, and hassle involved with doing it on your own.
So if you’re still asking “what do I need to do to sell my house in Dallas“… now you have 2 solid options.
- Fix the property up and get it all nice and ready with the steps above to sell it at top dollar. Be prepared to cash in on your equity several months from now.
- Let us do all of the work and we’ll make you a cash offer on your house in AS-IS condition. This saves you time, and money, and gets the hassle off of your hands. That way you don’t have to wait months before you cash in on your equity. You can skip all of these steps and cash in next week!
If you need to sell a property near Dallas, we can help you.
We buy properties like yours from people who need to sell fast.